gpsd-dev

Re: ✘"Can't find packet library")

From: James Browning
Subject: Re: ✘"Can't find packet library")
Date: Sun, 26 Jul 2020 18:49:34 -0700

On Sun, Jul 26, 2020, at 5:49 PM Gary E. Miller <gem@rellim.com> wrote:

> Yo James!
>
> On Sun, 26 Jul 2020 17:19:29 -0700
> James Browning <jamesb.fe80@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > So I just tried to use gpsfake outside of the build tree.  Which
> > > I rarely do, but will be common for most people.  And it fails.
> >
> > I am too stupid to understand.
>
> As is everyone that looked at the code already.
>
> Any ideas?

do something vaguely like revert 13e70aa7 ?

There were four cases in packet.py recently.
1) if GPSD_HOME is a set environment variable try finding the library there.
2) check if libgpsdpacket is in a location where Python can find it.
3) check packet.py ancestor directories for libgpsdpacket
4) check id packet.py is under @PREFIX@ then look in @LIBDIR@ (redacted)

the intent was:
1 would handle scons check,
2 would handle distro installs,
3 would handle non-scons in-tree gpscat and gpsfake cases, and
4 would handle developer installs.

realistically 3 is overzealous and could probably be clipped
to a few ancestors but I do not want to handle the corners.