gpsd-dev

Re: ✘gpsd is now Pure Python!

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: ✘gpsd is now Pure Python!
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2020 19:35:01 -0700

Yo Fred!

On Wed, 25 Mar 2020 18:21:38 -0700 (PDT)
Fred Wright <address@hidden> wrote:

> Well, the "long standing annoyance" was just due to a confused build
> procedure.  But this looks like a useful cleanup, and a reasonably
> standard approach AFAICT.

I'm unclear what you refer to.  The bug tracker has had no build
issues for a long time.  And this did not change that, so if you have
build issues, please tell us.

> > The install location is the same as before, but that should be
> > changed to a non-version specific location.  Not sure what the best
> > location should be.
>
> Actually, no.

Got a PEP reference?

> I never checked to see if GPSD
> is currently doing this correctly,[...]

Please do.  Facts are helpful, speculation not so much.

> It doesn't make sense for the project's own build procedure to handle
> installing for multiple Python versions.

I'm unaware of anyone suggesting that.  Did I miss something?

> The main thing a project like GPSD needs to do is to provide
> appropriate build/install targets so that a packaging system can
> treat the Python modules as a separate package if it so desires
> (without requiring it to do so, or requiring it to know about
> individual components).

Thanks for the confirmation, That was exactly the point of going Pure Python.

> > As always, please test.  It is a big change and likely something
> > more needs to be done.
>
> It currently fails on all macOS versions, because "3.20.1~dev" isn't
> a valid library version number.  And shared library version numbers
> are supposed to be based on API versions, not code versions, anyway.

Good catch.  Simple fix.  Fix pushed.  Please test.

> For future reference, it would be far better for inadequately tested
> changes not to be pushed to the master branch, since they create
> permanent potholes in the history that make bisecting difficult.

This has been a merge request for many months.  Tested by many people.
All supported OS (except macOS) have CI jobs now.  So every commit to the
merge request was tested by the CI.  Except for macOS.

If you want macOS tested, then a macOS person needs to step up and follow
the procedures we both suggest.

> It's completely trivial to push to a test branch instead, and only
> merge to master when "ready for primetime".

Good, thanks for the confirmation.  That is exactly how this was done.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588