gpsd-dev

Re: would it be time to replace scons with meson build system?

From: Paul Fertser
Subject: Re: would it be time to replace scons with meson build system?
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2020 03:06:26 +0300

Hey Gary,

On Wed, Feb 05, 2020 at 03:51:52PM -0800, Gary E. Miller wrote:
> > And yes, I'd say it's likely to make your
> > users a bit happier.
>
> No, gpsd users don't care, they just cut/paste the build instructions.
> Same for cmake, they just cut/paste the build instructions.

By users I meant contributors. And you have not one but four
paragraphs explaining them how to properly "clean" the build. And
another different "rm -r" command to clean the SCons database
mentioned in another part of the doc. I'd say this is a clear
indication your users get confused by SCons every now and then. You
say there would be no less confusion with CMake, OK, you might be
right, but somehow I've seen more mails expressing unhappiness about
SCons on this very mailing list than the mails describing unfortunate
experiences with CMake on all the other lists I read combined.

> But, if you think you can send in a patch that solves everyone's
> problems, please do!  Quickly!

I do not see a need to hurry with this, Gary.

mailto:address@hidden