gpsd-dev

Re: b32ff1a86 Breaks OSX and FreeBSD

From: Greg Troxel
Subject: Re: b32ff1a86 Breaks OSX and FreeBSD
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2019 09:39:52 -0500

Fred Wright <address@hidden> writes:

> On Thu, 19 Dec 2019, Gary E. Miller wrote:
>> On Thu, 19 Dec 2019 20:37:45 -0800 (PST)
>> Fred Wright <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>>> E.g.:
>>>
>>> Checking size of time_t... ERROR: TryCompile failed
>>
>> What was the command being run?
>
> It was "git clean -dxfq && scons", but the exact command doesn't
> matter since the failure is in the configure phase.
>
> It might be better not to make a change that significant this close to
> a release.  I don't think it's critical to get a build-time warning
> for a problem that's more than 18 years away. :-)

I am seeing failures on NetBSD 8:

  Checking size of time_t... no
  sizeof(time_t) is
  ValueError: invalid literal for int() with base 10: '':
    File "/home/n0/gdt/SOFTWARE/GPSD/gpsd/SConstruct", line 1037:
      if 4 >= int(sizeof_time_t):

Agreed that changes during pre-release should be very limited and
proposed for review (other than doc fixes etc.).

It seems best to just revert that.  The other option is to fix it and
then restart the "are we ready for release process", with at least 7
days between all-fixed and release to allow people to test again.

But if we didn't have destabilzing changes in the days before release,
it wouldn't be gpsd!