gpsd-dev

Re: ✘ Release blockers?

From: Fred Wright
Subject: Re: ✘ Release blockers?
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2019 01:02:40 -0800 (PST)

On Mon, 16 Dec 2019, Gary E. Miller wrote:
On Mon, 16 Dec 2019 17:33:44 -0800 (PST)
Fred Wright <address@hidden> wrote:

Which build failure do you exactly mean?
-lQtCore Undefined symbols for architecture x86_64:
   "_timespec_str", referenced from:
       _libgps_dump_state in qt-libgps_core.os
clang: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see
invocation)

Odd.

It looks like this only happens with clang and not with gcc, which is
why it doesn't affect all platforms.

We do test on clang.  I test on osX which uses clang.  But I see I do not
have Qt enabled.  Not sure how to do that on a mac.

If you have MacPorts installed, just install the qt4-mac port. At one time I also had builds with Qt5 working on the Mac, but something changed that broke it since then, so for now it's Qt4-only.

It also only happens with
qt=yes, but qt=no is forced if pkg-config can't find QtNetwork,
explaining non-failures in certain cases.

The only Qt thing gpsd builds is a simple test case.  No known clients.

Yeah, I know, but at least the simple test should build and run.

The fix is just to add timespec_str.c to the list of sources that get
compiled as C rather than C++ in the C++ build, but I need to fully
test that,

We used to do something similar, it broke other things.

It's worked in all the cases I've tried, and it just mimics what was already being done for several other modules.

Please do some tests, time is running out before the next release.

I've pushed several commits to fix a number of problems.

as well as looking into a different failure that only
shows up on OpenBSD.

Don't keep us in suspense.

Fixed now.

I'm also seeing a new regression test failure with garmin18x-bin.log
on the PowerBook, which I'll look at after the other issues.  This
might be an endian bug.

Could be.  AFAIK, only some Power CPUs have big-endian modes.  They
should die...

All POWER and PowerPC processors are natively big-endian. Some (but not all) of them have a little-endian mode, which may or may not be supported by a given OS.

If you could do this, and send the results that would help a lot:

 # ./regress-driver test/daemon/garmin18x-bin.log

I'll look into it myself first, since I can actually reproduce it here.

One thing that isn't strictly a regression, but has been rearing its ugly head lately, is that crock where it thinks it needs to build the Python extensions with the exact same C compiler as was used for Python itself. If that compiler isn't available, or isn't "configuration compatible" with the normal C compiler, then the extensions fail to build. I'd like to try to fix that before the release.