gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] ✘wgs84_separation()

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] ✘wgs84_separation()
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2019 11:39:34 -0700

Yo Michael!

On Fri, 19 Jul 2019 02:38:39 +0100
"Michael J. Tubby B.Sc. MIET" <address@hidden> wrote:

> This is really interesting.... *but* can we not just settle on WGS84
> 'altitude', i.e. above [or perhaps below] the WGS84 geoid datum, and
> allow users to transform this to their datum (eg. Newlyn Height, in
> the UK) or NAD83 or any of the hundreds of other datum?

I think we already did:

On Thu, 18 Jul 2019 20:15:56 -0400
Greg Troxel <address@hidden> wrote:

> > And it seems like we agree on:
> >     altHAE
> >     altMSL
> >     geoidSep
> >
> > That is really all I wanted from the beginning of this discussion.
>

> Yes, that's good enough to stop arguing.

For now that is my plan.  Right now I am working on updating
wgs84_separation() to EGM2008 (MSL).  That improves geoidSep, then
I'll add altMSL and change altitude to altHAE.

With any luck the doc for that will not raise any new issues.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588