gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] ubxtool and remote gpsd

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] ubxtool and remote gpsd
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2019 13:42:33 -0700

Yo Ken!

On Tue, 2 Jul 2019 14:32:29 -0600
Ken McGuire <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi Gary,
>
> > Yo Ken!
> >
> > Seems like our private messages crossed before the list serve send
> > your list messages.  We already determined the problem solved, but
> > I'll mention a few things.
> >
> > On Mon, 1 Jul 2019 19:42:51 -0600
> > Ken McGuire <address@hidden> wrote:
> >
> > >/> Doubly odd. Can you confirm your UBXOPTS environment variable
> > >is/ /> empty? /
> > >//
> > >/env/
> >
> > [...]
> > >/USER=kenm/
>
> That is the environment from where ubxtool was run on my desktop and
> I was not root at that time.

Yes. as I was expecting.  For some reaxson people that switch in and out
of root using gpsd have more issues.

> > Careful!  Sometimes gpsd needs root.
> And on the OPi0 system, gpsd is run as root.
> > Missing $PYTHONPATH!

No comment?  Serious problem.

> > The easy way:
> >
> > $ echo $UBXOPTS
> > $
> echo $UBXOPTS
>
> ^^^^^ empty...

Yes, we knew that.

> > >/But gpsd doesn't use python in it's normal operation./
>
> ubxtool on the desktop of course needs python, on the OPi0, gpsd does
> not need python, but ubxtool and some of the other .py examples do.

Yes.  Important to keep in mind.

Python 2 is EOL in under 6 months.  Time to move on.

> > But the issue here is ubxtool.  ubxtool is 100% Python.
> >
> > Since it now works for, this is just forensics now.
>
> Yep, glad the issue is resolved, and that 3.19 is released.

Good.  Moving on to the next bugs and features.

> I can now "install" gpsd and continue development of my system

That's the point.  Let us know what you find, a lot of new stuff
from the ZED's.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588