gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] featuretest macros

From: Greg Troxel
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] featuretest macros
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2019 19:18:38 -0400

"Gary E. Miller" <address@hidden> writes:

> We just rexecntly discovered that NETBSD_SOURCE is required to get
> NetBSD to work without warnings.

I get the exact same set of warnings between:

  git head as is

  git head with all the visibility defines removed

and the warnings I get appear correct.

Certainly, if one defines _XOPEN_SOURCE to 700 and does not define
_NETBSD_SOURCE, then there are lots of undeclared functions.  Which is
correct, as _XOPEN_SOURCE is a request to make visible the symbols
specified by that standard, and no more.

My point is that _XOPEN_SOURCE and _NETBSD_SOURCE is exactly equivalent
to not defining anything.  Unless there is some bizarre function
required by some version of XOPEN that is hidden by default, but that
does not seem to be the case.

>> and then add specific tweaks for older OS/distros and document which
>> OS/distro/version so they can be retired when GPSD drops support for
>> that version.
>
> Which is what I spent the first part of June doing.  You'll notice
> is git log a lot of defines removed.  A lot more to go.

To me, the biggest improvement would be to limit the defines intended
for glibc to systems with glibc.  That allows separate systems to be
worked on separately.