gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] Upcoming migration to GitLab

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] Upcoming migration to GitLab
Date: Sun, 26 May 2019 21:31:35 -0400

Fred Wright <address@hidden>:
> > Ah, OK. We *are* going to have to turn off mitroring before it can be
> > forked, then.
> > I didn't know that - haven't done this before.
>
> So that should be done sooner rather than later.

Not seeing it. Seems to me that's exactly the thing to be done on cutover day.
Check that the repos are in sync, then turn off mirroring.

> > I don't either. But I'm not worried about it. We don't get enough pushes per
> > day that transplanting in-between ones fromSavannah to GitLab by hand using
> > git patch-format and git am is going to be at all difficult.
>
> Oh, it's *certainly* not necessary to resort to format-patch and am in any
> case.  One can always copy commits from one repo to another via fetch and
> push, with a rebase in between if needed.  No need to resort to error-prone
> and lossy patch files.

One can always...if one has CLI access to the host on the fetch end.  Here
we don't, we have to work via the GitLab web interfaces and pushes.  But as
I said, I'm not worried.  I've done this sort pf thing before; ve haff vays.

> I was assuming that if some sort of migration mechanism is available, it
> would include the ability to set the "next issue number" beyond the imported
> issues.  In fact, there might be a way to set that parameter without the
> import.

Dunno. I'll have to look into the JSON formats for their API.

> On Sun, 26 May 2019, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
> > Sanjeev Gupta <address@hidden>:
>
> > > I do not seem to have even read access to this repo.
>
> > Strange.  Can anyone else get at it?
>
> No problem here:
>
> MacPro:gpsd fw$ git fetch address@hidden:gpsd/gpsd.git master:test
> > From gitlab.com:gpsd/gpsd
>  * [new branch]          master     -> test
> MacPro:gpsd fw$ git branch -D test
> Deleted branch test (was c0a78c2d2).
>
> But I don't see Sanjeev in the member list, which may even matter for reads
> (see below).

Sanjeev, I just added you as a guest.  Now try cloning?

> On Sun, 26 May 2019, Hal Murray wrote:
>
> > address@hidden xxx]$ git clone address@hidden:gpsd/gpsd.git
> > Cloning into 'gpsd'...
> > > GitLab: You are not allowed to download code from this project.
> > fatal: Could not read from remote repository.
>
> I don't see you (Hal) in the member list, either.  I also don't see you in
> the developer list that Eric posted earlier, which is probably an error.

No, that's correct.  Hal was never formally a dev on GPSD, just a very
trusted friend of the project. I've given him dev access on the new
repo.

> There's often a configuration option that determines whether "anonymous SSH"
> is allowed.  If it isn't, then the "address@hidden" spec only works with a
> valid
> SSH login from an allowed user.  Sometimes the "https://..."; form may work
> when the other doesn't, though this may also require a login in some cases.
> E.g.:
>
> MacPro:gpsd fw$ git fetch https://gitlab.com/gpsd/gpsd.git master:test
> Username for 'https://gitlab.com': fhgwright
> Password for 'https://address@hidden':
> > From https://gitlab.com/gpsd/gpsd
>  * [new branch]          master     -> test
> MacPro:gpsd fw$ git branch -D test
> Deleted branch test (was c0a78c2d2).
>
> I expect that the intent is for this repo to be publicly readable, but that
> doesn't currently appear to be the case.  It seems somewhat unlikely that
> this property would be tied to "mirrorness", so perhaps the Fork/Clone issue
> isn't, either.

Too little data.  I think the picture's going to change when we de-mirror
it and am thus not really interested in chasing edge cases in how it works
now.