gpsd-dev

[gpsd-dev] Upcoming migration to GitLab

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: [gpsd-dev] Upcoming migration to GitLab
Date: Sat, 18 May 2019 09:43:43 -0400 (EDT)

Savannahs facilities for webpage hosting have a sufficiently painful
interface that GPSD has never used them.  Instead, the web pages live
on my personal site at UNC/ibiblio. This creates some inconvenience
when they have to be updated, as only I can push to them and have to
do it manually.

We have a plan to fix this.  It's to gradually migrate the project to
hosting on GitLab and use GitLab pages for the Web stuff, installing a
redirect at my personal site.

This will involve the following initial steps:

Step 1: The GitLab mirror at https://gitlab.com/gpsd/gpsd stops
being a mirror and becomes the official repo.  Devs will need to
have GitLab accounts and to do this:

git remote add origin address@hidden:gpsd/gpsd.git

Step 2: I set up the CI job to publish the website to GitLab pages
on each commit.

Step 3: I install a redirect from my site on ibiblio.

After this we can look at moving isses from the Subversion bugtracker.

Tentative date for Step 1 is June 1st.

Objections? Comments?  Ideas?

The common argument that crime is caused by poverty is a kind of
slander on the poor.
        -- H. L. Mencken