gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] Best way to avoid systemd woes for NTP?

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] Best way to avoid systemd woes for NTP?
Date: Mon, 6 May 2019 16:10:32 -0700

Yo Greg!

On Mon, 06 May 2019 19:03:27 -0400
Greg Troxel <address@hidden> wrote:

> "Gary E. Miller" <address@hidden> writes:
>
> >> 2) The example gives a chrony line for sequencing, but not ntpd.
> >> The ham remix at least uses ntpd, so it seems both should be
> >> present.  Is this a correct conclusion?
> >
> > No.  chrony OR ntpd.  Both try to use the NTP udp port and the SHM.
> > Either will work for you.  Obviously we prefer NTPsec here.
>
> I meant the lines that control ordering for systemd.  It seems there
> should be one rule for the ordering of chrony/gpsd and one for
> ntpd/gpsd, basically the same.

Yes.  Except for the chronyd or ntpd command line options.

> >> Is this known/expected to work on Ubuntu?
> >
> > Yes, known to work, badly documented.
>
> It is being flaky for me.

Wow, I'm surprised.  Not.  :-)

> >> 4) Does the -n flag for the global gpsd become effective on
> >> individual serial ports added with gpsdctl?  If gpsd is started
> >> with no devices, and hotplug does gpsdctl add, does gpsd start
> >> running on the new device?
> >
> > I suspect starting gpsd with -n would then keep any hotplu agged GPS
> > running all the time.  Worth testing.
>
> Seems to.

Good.

> >> 5) I don't follow how the default setup works, in that the hotplug
> >> script should run on insert, and then gpsd only started when
> >> someone starts a client.  So with the following sequence:
> >>
> >>   1) boot
> >>   2) systemd starts listening on 2947, no gpsd
> >>   3) USB GPS mouse inserted
> >>   4) user runs xgps
> >>   5) systemd receives connection, starts up gpsd
> >
> > Step 3a) systemd starts gpsd.
>
> Because of some hotplug stuff?  So systemed starts gpsd on either a
> hotplug insert, or on a connection to 2947?

No, because you use -n and have systemd start gpsd on insert.

> > Step 3b) systemd can use -F, or gpsctl, to add the GPS.
>
> > For those stuck on Ubuntu, most start out trying to get systemd to
> > work.  Some succeed.  The rest get mad, delete the systemd/gpsd
> > service, then start gpsd with a bootup script that uses -F and
> > udev.
>
> By this point, that does not seem surprising...

Good we are getting to the same page.

I assume when you understand it, you'll document it for your HAM
friends.  Please also send that to us.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588