gpsd-dev

[gpsd-dev] comments from being away

From: Greg Troxel
Subject: [gpsd-dev] comments from being away
Date: Wed, 01 May 2019 16:29:48 -0400

I just updated pkgsrc's entry to 3.18.1.  Thanks for the advice.  It's
running fine on NetBSD 8 with a ublox6 USB mouse, xgps and ntpd.

Thanks very much to whoever wrote ubxtool.  I have a new ublox 6 device,
and the tool lets me configure SBAS on/off, enable BeiDou and Galileo,
etc., without having to use proprietary software and especially
Windows.  It obviously talks to the running daemon and just worked.

I'm getting warnings from xgps about deprecated function use.  I imagine
everyone else does, and this is known.  But if it's helpful I can send
them in.

I figured out that if one starts gpsd without -n then the NTP shm
doesn't work (or so it seemed), even though I started up xgps.  This
sort of makes sense, but the man page didn't cause me to realize it.  I
wonder if pointing out that lack of -n makes gpsd deficient in term of
the shm mechanism would be good.  Or perhaps, if -n should become
default, remain as a no-op option, and we add -w to make it wait.

I'd like to see xgps default to metric and 30-degree grid, but that's
probably a minority view.