gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] gpsd Build Error "stdatomic.h" Not Found; Ubuntu 14.04 +

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] gpsd Build Error "stdatomic.h" Not Found; Ubuntu 14.04 + ARM Cortex A-15
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2018 16:24:19 -0700

Yo Gr!

On Thu, 05 Jul 2018 17:11:07 -0600
Gr Hudy <address@hidden> wrote:

> Turned off HAVE_STDATOMIC_H as instructed. Back to the stdatomic.h:
> No such file or directory error.

That makes no sense.  stdatomic.h is only included inside the #ifdef
in compiler.h:

#ifdef HAVE_STDATOMIC_H
#if !defined(__COVERITY__)
#if !defined(__cplusplus)
    #include <stdatomic.h>
#elif __cplusplus >= 201103L

Oh, I told you to make it 0, which is still 'defined'.  Try to #undef
it.

> EUREKA!!: Most of the gcc compiles in gpsd use gcc-6 as the compiler;
> the one that fails is invoking arm-linux-gnueabihf-gcc instead, and
> THAT compiler is version 4.8.5, and that's the crux of the biscuit:

How did you do that?  You are not cross-compiling or anything wierd
like that?

> there is not a stdatomic.h
> in /usr/lib/gcc/arm-linux-gnueabihf/4.8/include !!

Uh, oh.

> I tried the failing compile outside of scons by cutting and pasting
> the command line as reported during the build. It compiled
> successfully (??). This might have worked because of the changes you
> suggested to SConstruct, which I had made. I restored the clean gpsd
> sources and tried it and it failed with the stdatomic.h missing error
> again.

Which your two different gcc explains.  But no idea why they are
getting called sepearately.

> So, my question is, why is SConstruct calling a different compiler
> there? Can't it just use gcc-6?

Beats me?  Why can't you?  I have no idea whey they are getting
called separately.

> OR, I need to figure out how to install version 6 of
> arm-linux-gnueabihf-gcc.

Your plain 'gcc' HAS to be arm-linux-gnueabihf-gcc, otherwise nothing
you compile would run on your arm-linux-gnueabihf-gcc CPU and libs.

The libs have to match your gcc.  Running a system multilib is really
hard.  You do not want to do that.  You should recompile everything
when you change gcc major versions.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588