gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] gpsd using excessive cpu

From: Jon Schlueter
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] gpsd using excessive cpu
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2015 21:12:24 -0500

one approach would be a dead time delay if we received fewer
than X bytes delay by long enough to get X bytes next time.  I
think there were attempts at this a while back on this list.  try
searching through the archives.

but a sane approach if you want a workaround would be 1-50 ms
sleep at the bottom of the read loop.  this would give it a reasonable
balance between snappy receives and not getting behind.  Too much
and gpsd get's behind because it needs to read multiple messages
per second, to little and it burns CPU if you have the bug in the
underlying drivers.

Jon