gpsd-dev

[gpsd-dev] Are we in good shape for a 3.11 release tomorrow?

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: [gpsd-dev] Are we in good shape for a 3.11 release tomorrow?
Date: Sun, 1 Dec 2013 12:30:06 -0500 (EST)

Gary, what's the status of PPS for you?  Has it stabilized on behavior
we can ship?

The mess around chrpath now seems resolved.  Judicious deployment of
LD_LIBRARY_PATH settings in regress-driver and the scons library has
made embedding $PWD in RPATH unnecessary for people running the
standard regression tests; only ad-hoc tests (e.g. running gpsd or
gpsmon by hand) are a problem now.  Accordingly, I have changed the
configuration default to chrpath=no and removed it from the dependency
list.

The multiple-options-in-LINKFLAGS things seems resolved as well.

I have gotten nowhere on Bernd's request for out-of-directory testing.
There's been too much else to do, and I don't feel like I have a
really firm grasp on his requirements. Next release, maybe.

Bernd ran some tests on the porterboxes; there are a few warnings and
minor problems but we seem basically OK there.

The build still defaults to doing leap-second fetching, but I've put
in code that exploits knowledge about when the IERS declares leap
seconds to cut the frequency way down - as in, it will only try the
fetch once per six months now. (Yes, I know that three-month intervals
are theoretically possible.)

Assuming we can ship tomorrow, I think we'll be looking at another
relatively short development cycle, with the major theme being
time autonomy.

See, when the GOVERNMENT spends money, it creates jobs; whereas when the money
is left in the hands of TAXPAYERS, God only knows what they do with it.  Bake
it into pies, probably.  Anything to avoid creating jobs.       -- Dave Barry