gomd-devel

Re: [gomd-devel] linux build / cvs questin

From: Matthias Rechenburg
Subject: Re: [gomd-devel] linux build / cvs questin
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 12:29:47 +0000

Hey Johnny,

On Sonntag 25 April 2004 07:31, Gian Paolo Ghilardi wrote:
> Hi Johnny.

:)

> > even made a few diagrams showing the memory layout after i had sorted it
> > al lout again (had to document it before i forgot! kinda makes me wish
> > java was faster so i didnt have to keep such careful track). Aynway im
> > hoping to get my hands dirty with cvs tomorrrow. Before i start i was
> > going to ask you guys if there was anything i could do from the beginning
> > to make my job easier.
>
> I use Cervisia, a nice and easy-to-use CVS frontend.
> I think it's available also on MacOSX (but there are other native apps
> doing the same thing on MacOSX).
>
> The one thing that springs to my mind is should i
>
> > move my 3dmosmon development inside of my local gomd tree under a contrib
> > dir? Does this matter at all?
>
> Uhm... I think 3dmosmon can be included in gomdview directory.
> But if you prefer, feel free to create a new dir in contrib.
> Matt: any idea/suggestion?

does not matter (to me)
you may want to include it into the gomdview-tree in a 3dmosmon dir
or you could put it in contrib dir (as you like).

> > Question number two. How do -you- think i should distribute 3dmosmon on
> > linux? One of the big reasons i switched to OSX (aside from being a

.tar.gz of the sources i would suggest
maybe later we can build rpm's for some linux-distris

> > sucker for eye candy, but you probably knew that..) is it lets me package
> > software in a single unified format. I went absolutely crazy trying to
> > figure out the best way to get 3dmosmon running on a variety of platforms
> > last time and i think i failed pretty miserably. I have no desire to
> > create rpms,debs,and ebuilds so im hoping if it gets popuilar volunteers
> > will step forward for there favorite distribution. I also hate autotools,
> > but i would use them if someone would show me how to apply them to this
> > project sanely. I guess this boils down to
>
> Uhm... I think we'll find somebody for the packaging task so... keep up on
> coding. Hihihi... :)))

hehehe

> > should i use autotools or normal makefiles and handle it by hand like
> > gomd?
>
> As the primary platform for 3dmosmon is GNU/Linux, I think you can use
> plain Makefiles.

agree

> IMHO, autotools are useful if you have lots of dependencies.

yes ;)

> > should i distribute the ogre library as a .so included in the project
> > or make people download and compile it themselves? (its rather large)

let people download + compile the ogre lib by themselves
If you inlclude id as an .so pleople might have diffrent version
of other shared libs the ogre-lib is using or those required shared
libs are missing complelty.
This is why it will be some work to create e.g. rpms for diffrent
redhat versions, as i know some of the libs needed by ogre
just came as sources (not as rpms) so you will need to compile
them anyways (and assume the user is using the same lib version)
.... confused enough now ? ;)))

> > Previously i attempted to package the library with 3dmosmon itself, but
> > im not sure that was a good idea. would -You- be willing to download and
> > compile a large graphics engine yourself just to run 3dmosmon? Its about
> > a 30 min compile on an averge box, maybe less.

the only way may be to create a static-compiled 3dmosmon binary which
includes all needed libs ;))
.... i guess it will be around 32MB big (the static-binary)

> Uhm... I prefer not to include OGRE is GOMS CVS.
> First: it's an external project
> Second: OGRE is not a small project
> Third: you would have to maintain OGRE versions in the GOMD CVS (not an
> easy task)

yep, do not include ogre, just make it a dependency e.g. search in the
Makefile for the libs you need (by some shell-hacks, do not use autotools ;)
and if you find them compile the 3dmosmon, if not give a message to teh user
which lib is missing.

> So, as previously done with libgtop, OGRE is an _external_ dependency for
> 3dmosmon: people must download OGRE and install it before compiling
> 3dmosmon.
> But this is my opinion... :)))

agree with you