gomd-devel

Re: [gomd-devel] .... let's start gomdview

From: Matthias Rechenburg
Subject: Re: [gomd-devel] .... let's start gomdview
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2004 14:44:20 +0000

Hey JP,

On Samstag 10 April 2004 11:06, Gian Paolo Ghilardi wrote:
> Hi all.

:) an additional idea is to set the title of gomdview to the
ip of the gomd to which it is connected too.
(just a small enhancement)

> > Some methods still needs some "optimization" ;)) the main purpose
> > was to make it working first, feel free to enhance the code.
>
> Ok. Let me know if you need chacges/clanaups/... in the libgomd.

oh, i think the libgomd is very usefull as it is.
We just need to talk about how we implemnt it e.g. for the
openMosixprocs -> gomdprocs. It will need an gomd-ip to
connect to too (the local ip on the remote node)

> > Anyways i think this is a quite usefull first start and it should
> > be not sooo hard to get all the other openMosixview applications
> > working with the gomd/libgomd too. We may have to discuss + change
> > some conceptional stuff but that should be ok too ;))
>
> Ok. I'm here. ;)

:) good, as you could see from the code QT is quite easy and we
just need to change the methods which gets information about
the cluster to use the libgomd instead of e.g. /proc/hpc.
It would be great if you (and all others) could help coding on the gomdview
too as you know the libgomd/gomd best ;))

> > Please notice that the configuration dialog methods arestill using
> > ssh/rsh because (currently) the gomd does not support executing a command
> > on a specific node e.g. exec cmd [node-id] [command]
> > -> please correct me if i am wrong
>
> You're right, Matt.
> WORKING EXECUTION COMMANDS:
> - [exec] cmd COMMAND PARAMS    => local node execution
> - [exec] cwc COMMAND PARAM     => cluster-wide execution
> ATM there's no "exec cmd [node-id] [command]" but if you want, I can add
> this feature.

that would be nice and usefull too to my mind
Also it would be very helpfull for the users if we could add
all supported commands to the "get help" functions in gomd.

> > btw: also the "framework" should work ok e.g. "make rpm" will build you
> > and "gomdview-0.1.rpm" heheheh
>
> Ok. We'll add the stuff in the Packaging dir, ok?

mhmm, i prefer to leave the gomdview packaging in
"its" gomdview directory. This way e.g. other developer
can add it very easy to e.g. an existing build system.
What i would like to suggest is to create a "Makefile"
framework like we currently have for gomdview
(same as openMosixview)
Each component dir has its own Makefile which supports
the following functions : clean, all, install, uninstall, rpm
Then in the  main base directory we just have a
Makefile which runs the same functions in all target subdirs.
This way we can provide seperated packages for each
components easy and you also can build each component
seperatly.
Nothing against the "compile.sh" and "install.sh" but they
could be easily replaced by one Makefile  ;)

> > Hope you have fun with it and help me porting the rest of the stuff !
> >
> > happy easter-egg searching,
>
> Also to you all!!! :)))
>
> <rejected>

have fun,