gomd-devel

Re: [gomd-devel] <DOCS> Working on the docs stuff...

From: Mirko Caserta
Subject: Re: [gomd-devel] <DOCS> Working on the docs stuff...
Date: Sun, 5 Oct 2003 00:41:02 +0200

On Sat, 4 Oct 2003 23:59:09 +0200
"Gian Paolo Ghilardi" <address@hidden> wrote:

> - Mirko is working to create a script to convert the updated manual (RTF
> file format) to all the known file formats... ;)

Well, not exactly. I was thinking of converting the manual into docbook sgml
for easy conversion into html, ps, pdf, rtf, txt, etc... but it'd be a huge
work. So instead I tried converting the original word document into
OpenOffice.org 1.1 xml format and it looks really good. The import is
excellent and, once the document is saved in swx format, it can be exported to
html, rtf, txt, pdf and ps without a sweat.

So, using the latest OpenOffice.org we do have an open source, free as both in
speech and beer software to manage the documentation in an affordable way.
After all we aren't going to submit the gomd's manual to the LDP, right? :)

I'd vote for keeping the master document in swx format so that anyone with
OpenOffice.org can modify/update the text and produce exported versions of the
document for release on the web site or personal use.

Now I need to hear from you :)

> - I've prepared a new release for the manual.(typo fixes, comments,..):
> v0.1b.
>    Not committed yet (waiting fot Mirko's script).
>    I'm also working to add some "gomd internals" chapter to the manual.

If everyone is confortable with having an swx manual, I'd suggest you install
OOo 1.1 on windoze to convert your .doc file into an swx (or I can do it for
you but you'll need OOo anyway for making changes to the document later).

> PS: when Moshe will give us the permissions, we'll move to the new openMosix
> community platform.
> Ok? ;)

Sure, I'm already there but I can't use CVS right now yet.

Ciao, Mirko.