gomd-devel

Re: [gomd-devel] Stuff to monitor

From: Ramon Pons Vivanco
Subject: Re: [gomd-devel] Stuff to monitor
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2003 22:06:20 +0100

On Mon, 3 Mar 2003 00:46:19 -0600 (CST), address@hidden wrote:

> I was wondering if you guys have any other ideas on what to monitor?

Yes :)
1.- Number of procs running
2.- uptime
3.- users
4.- devices
5.- temperatures
6.- version

> i mean, everything in /proc + uptime seems good. Is there anything
> significant that /proc doesnt cover?

ummmm, maybe ;)

> Also, i was curious about the ability to run command through gomd?

That was a nice idea.

> I considered making mosstatd more generalized and perhaps able to handle
> scenarios like this but instead i opted for the exteremly simple model
> of jsut sending out a fixed structure every interval. I did this to
> keep any possibility of remote exploits of mosstatd at bay. if it never
> issues a read() it cant possibly read in malicious data. Anyway, i just
> hope you keep things like that in mind. While i do think that gomd will
> defintely have to take on a more complicated model than mosstatd, i hope
> that the ability to execute commands remotely is defintely easy to turn
> off (perhaps by default)

Yeah, that may be a problem. But an openMosix cluster it is suposed to be
away from internet.

--
 .''`.                Why is a cow? Mu. (Ommmmmmmmmm)
: :' :

then you win.                                    -- Mahatma Gandhi