gnuzilla-dev

Re: DRM Content link in about:preferences#general

From: Mark H Weaver
Subject: Re: DRM Content link in about:preferences#general
Date: Fri, 07 May 2021 13:35:16 -0400

Hi Antonio,

"Antonio T. sagitter" <sagitter@fedoraproject.org> writes:

> On 5/7/21 6:21 AM, Mark H Weaver wrote:
>> Hi Antonio,
>>
>> "Antonio T. sagitter" <sagitter@fedoraproject.org> writes:
>>> I wish to point the "Learn more" link of DRM Content in
>>> about:preferences#general to the webpage
>>> https://www.gnu.org/proprietary/proprietary-drm.html.en
>>
>> Does IceCat in Fedora show that setting?  I don't see anything about
>> "DRM Content" in <about:preferences#general> in IceCat as built by GNU
>> Guix.
>>
>> Do you have "ac_add_options --disable-eme" in your mozconfig?  If not,
>> please consider adding it.  Alternatively, if you're using the
>> 'configure' script, passing "--disable-eme" also works.
>
> "--disable-eme" dows not work in some architectures (s390x, arm),
> so i removed it.

Ah, interesting.  Thanks for letting us know.

> I have to choose if removing "--disable-eme" completely and modify the
> link, or using -eme option when possible.

Another approach might be to add

  pref("media.eme.ui.enabled", false);

to data/settings.js in the gnuzilla repository.  It seems to me
preferable for the DRM Content setting to be completely hidden, if
possible.  What do you think?

>>> What change is needed in IceCat?
>>
>> See "drmInfoURL" in browser/components/preferences/main.js for the
>> relevant code.  As it is now, it looks like it goes to:
>>
>> https://libreplanet.org/wiki/Group:IceCat/drm-content
>>
>>        Mark
>>

> Is it possible using an entire http link instead of
> `("app.support.baseURL") +
>   "drm-content"`?
>
>      let drmInfoURL =
>
>        Services.urlFormatter.formatURLPref("app.support.baseURL") +
>
>        "drm-content";

I would guess so, although I'd prefer not to embed hardcoded URLs into
the code.

Anyway, thanks very much for your work on this, Antonio, and for
maintaining the IceCat package in Fedora.

     Regards,
       Mark

--
Disinformation flourishes because many people care deeply about injustice
but very few check the facts.  Ask me about <https://stallmansupport.org>.