gnuzilla-dev

Re: Updating makeicecat's license header from GPLv2+ to GPLv3+

From: Amin Bandali
Subject: Re: Updating makeicecat's license header from GPLv2+ to GPLv3+
Date: Sat, 05 Sep 2020 18:58:53 -0400

Thank you Mark and bill-auger for your replies.  I had a brief chat with
Rubén about this on IRC, where he told me he would be fine with me
changing the license header for makeicecat to GPLv3+, and that most if
not all of what we have as makeicecat was initially based off of his
work for a similar script for deriving Trisquel's Abrowser.

However, after I showed him bill-auger's reply, he said that indeed he
likely added the wrong license file to COPYING (GPLv3 instead of GPLv2).

Considering that, I'm inclined to leave makeicecat's header as is, and
instead update COPYING, changing it from GPLv3 to GPLv2, and leave the
discussion for updating gnuzilla.git's (the entire project's) license to
GPLv3+ to a later time.  Ideally, we could get some help with that from
folks with more knowledge of the intricacies of copyright and licensing,
e.g. the FSF's licensing staff or volunteers.