Re: GNUstep releases this month?

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: GNUstep releases this month?
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2021 10:45:28 +0000

> On 18 Jan 2021, at 23:37, Ivan Vučica <ivan@vucica.net> wrote:
>
> On Mon, Jan 18, 2021 at 9:49 PM Fred Kiefer <fredkiefer@gmx.de> wrote:
>> I just added the new entries for news.texi for GNUstep make. While doing so
>> I stated the upcoming release as 2.9.0 but giving it the number 2.8.1 would
>> also be fine with me. There are only minor changes for this release. If you
>> decide on a different number please remember to fix that file.
>>
>> Hope that makes your work easier,
>> Fred
>
> Thanks. I'll wait for Richard's thumbs up and likely work on this over
> the weekend.

I just committed the merge of git log information into ChangeLog
For anyone interested, the command I used to produce output, which I then
edited by hand, was:

git log --since=2020-04-05 --no-merges --pretty=format:"%ad %an <%ae>%n%n
 %s" --date=short --name-status | sed -e 's/^[A-Z]\t\(.*\)/\t* \1:/'
>/ChangeLog.tmp

I arrived at that after a lot of time wasted trying out things on the web that
claimed to produce beautiful output or to produce standard/gnu stype ChangeLogs
none of them did).
Maybe, we could feed that output though further processing (to move the file
names to correct position at the start of the ChangeLog entry rather than the
end, and to split long commit comments up properly so that they are indented 8
spaces but not longer than 80).  On the other hand, maybe going through and
editing by hand is worthwhile (I did fix a number of typos).