24-bit retain count

From: Larry Campbell
Subject: 24-bit retain count
Date: Thu, 21 May 2020 10:37:44 -0400

Currently gnustep-base raises an exception if the retain count exceeds 24 bits.
There's a comment there:

  /* I've seen comments saying that some platforms only support up to

   * 24 bits in atomic locking, so raise an exception if we try to

   * go beyond 0xfffffe.

   */

Is this really true? On what platforms? 24 bits is really not a very big
number. (It is causing me pain right now.)

- lc