gnuspeech-contact

Re: [gnuspeech-contact] gnuspeech-contact Digest, Vol 61, Issue 2

From: Kenneth Reid Beesley
Subject: Re: [gnuspeech-contact] gnuspeech-contact Digest, Vol 61, Issue 2
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2016 18:55:40 -0600

> On 20Jul2016, at 17:31, address@hidden wrote:
>
> From: "Marcelo Y. Matuda" <address@hidden>
>

> A converter from IPA to Gnuspeech symbols would not be difficult to
> write. But Gnuspeech mixes phonemes with control codes, you would still
> need to enter these control codes, for example "/c" and "/w".
>
> When you use IPA you need a virtual keyboard to enter the symbols. With
> X-SAMPA or the original Gnuspeech symbols, we can use a normal keyboard.

A “virtual keyboard” is often quite easy to implement, and you can customize it
trivially to input real IPA symbols the way that makes sense to _you_,
including X-SAMPA notations, or whatever.

I can recommend using the gvim editor with your own custom “keymap,” which
intercepts characters (or sequences of characters) that you type, and maps them
to a Unicode character or characters.   YOU can define the input sequences, and
YOU can modify or augment the mappings anytime you want.

And I would gladly supply my own gvim keymap-for-IPA that you could use as a
starting point.

Best,

Ken

Kenneth R. Beesley, D.Phil.