gnunet-developers

Patch for adding vscode devcontainer environment.

From: sioux
Subject: Patch for adding vscode devcontainer environment.
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2023 13:06:13 +0200 (CEST)

Hello.

I made a patch for adding vscode&docker environment.
https://code.visualstudio.com/docs/devcontainers/containers

Docker volume mounts the gnunet source directory inside the container so development can be done inside the container.
https://docs.docker.com/storage/volumes/

It would be relatively easy for interested developers to begin development because it eliminates the need to install packages on the system in my opinion.

Martin Schanzenbach(schanzen@gnunet.org) told me that there's Dockerfile for GNUNet in gnunet-source-root/contrib/docker already. (thanks.)

But I found that the Dockerfile is for running GNUNet in docker container and not for developing GNUNet in docker container.

Here's how to test/confirm.

# 1
Prepare environment(
Follow instructions at: https://code.visualstudio.com/docs/devcontainers/containers#_installation
FYI: https://code.visualstudio.com/docs/getstarted/telemetry#_disable-telemetry-reporting

# 2
Open gnunet source directory in vscode.
Press F1 key and choose "Dev Containers: Open Folder in Container...".

Once the gnunet source directory is opened in the reloaded window, choose File(top left) ->  Open Workspace from File and select "gnunet.code-workspace"(not from local).

And setup is done.
You can press F1 and select "Tasks: Run Task" to run tasks defined in .vscode/tasks.json.

Thanks.