gnunet-developers

Re: Is there a reason why GNUnet forcefully sends a message of type 6?

From: Alessio Vanni
Subject: Re: Is there a reason why GNUnet forcefully sends a message of type 6?
Date: Mon, 25 May 2020 14:58:11 +0200

Christian Grothoff <address@hidden> writes:

> If you are linking against GNUnet libraries, you fall under the AGPL.
> It does not matter whether you are in our repository.

That was the missing link.  From what I gathered the license is like the
normal GPL so my application will have to be licensed as AGPL too.  If
it's really like that, then wouldn't it be a good idea to make the
mechanism used by GNUnet available to other applications?

What I mean is, since `GNUNET_MQ_copy_handlers2' includes a handler for
the REQUEST_AGPL message, maybe this handler could be configured to
serve informations related to the specific application.  As it is right
now, the handler hardcodes the use of `GNUNET_AGPL_URL' to send the
reply message; a possible alternative would be to expand
`GNUNET_OS_ProjectData' to have one more field containing the AGPL URL
as a string, e.g.

struct GNUNET_OS_ProjectData pd = {
     /* Other fields... */
     .agpl_url = "http://example.tld/sourcecode/v1.0";
}

and have the handler use that field to generate the response message.

This way, users can send the same message (REQUEST_AGPL) to every
GNUnet-based applications to get the URL, instead of having said
application provide their own mechanism.

What do you think?

Thanks,
A.V.