Re: [Gnumed-devel] Problems calling or obtaining passwords from .pgpass

From: Sebastian Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Problems calling or obtaining passwords from .pgpass
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2013 09:09:37 +0100

Am Donnerstag, 21. November 2013, 22:47:57 schrieb Busser, Jim:
> On 2013-11-21, at 2:28 PM, Jim Busser <address@hidden> wrote:
> > Should I modify line 8 of the various conf files
> >
> >     interactive = yes
> >
> > to 'no'?
>
> What I did instead was to uncomment
>
>       #password
>
> as a result of which it appears that .pgpass was ignored, and I was prompted
> for
>
>       I need the password for the database user [postgres].
>       Please type the password:
>
> and was able to get past where I got stuck, only to encounter another
> bootstrap upgrade 18 19 error (see next email).
>
> I only wonder why the script will pull from .pgpass the password for gm-dbo
> but *not* the password for postgres?
>
> As a test to verify the requirement for the gm-dbo password, I deleted my
>
>       (root) ~/.pgpass
>
> and sure enough, on re-running
>
>       sh upgrade-db.sh 18 19
>
> I was prompted for the password for gm-dbo.

Very valuable tests and I don't know the answers without making some tests
myself.

I have to check the exact details. Time permitting I will do some tests on
Ubuntu and WIndows.

Karsten seems to have a setup with very little user interaction. He might want
to spell out details (for Debian) with regards to pgpass, sudo or su root,
conf files edited or not (uncommented lines).

Sebastian