Re: [Gnumed-devel] GNUmed database login warnings

From: Busser, Jim
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] GNUmed database login warnings
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2013 00:47:03 +0000

On 2013-11-20, at 3:02 AM, Karsten Hilbert <address@hidden> wrote:

>>      log_connections
>>      log_disconnections
>>
>> appear (commented) in lines 391 and 392 of my postgresql.conf, however I
>> notice related setings appear also in
>>
>>      gm-adjust_db_settings.sh
>>
>> and so it seems to me that a praxis wishing to run GNUmed in HIPAA-compliant
>> mode should do at least one, but need not do both, among:
>>
>> 1) uncomment (#) in postgresql.conf or
>>
>> 2) uncomment (--) in the shell script the lines
>>
>>      echo "--alter database ${TARGET_DB} set log_connections to 'on';" >>
>> $SQL_FILE
>>      echo "--alter database ${TARGET_DB} set log_disconnections to 'on';" >>
>> $SQL_FILE
>>
>> but if I do not want the added overhead of HIPAA, how will running the above
>> script (unchanged) turn off the warnings, especially since I cannot find
>> where in GNUmed to configure HIPAA as "on" or "off".
>
> Turning on what little HIPAA support there is translates to adding --hipaa
> to the call to gnumed.py. By default (no --hipaa) it is off.
>
> --hipaa will turn the above warnings into errors making GNUmed refuse to run
>
> Otherwise it'll only warn but allow starting the client. Logging
> connections/disconnects makes sense in any case so getting rid
> of even the warning involves setting it to on (by whichever means).
>
> Karsten

Except that, in the script, you wrote

#==============================================================
# There really should not be any need to
# change anything below this line.
#==============================================================

and if the point of running

        gm-adjust_db_settings.sh

is to adjust the gnumed_vNN db so that it will run in some
believed-to-be-desirable way, and if what you are saying is that "logging
connections/disconnects makes sense in any case",  then my suggestion is to
revise the script to that it will in future ship with the above two

        --alter database … set log_[dis]connections ...

lines uncommented (i.e. enabled) by default.

While some db admin may counter

        "I do not want this configured at the level of the gnumed db, I wish to
control it at the level of postgres.conf"

they could comment-out these two lines before running this script, and it
should be a less-common occurrence than if it is left as is (defaulting, as it
does, to require the db admin to uncomment the lines).

-- Jim