Re: [Gnumed-devel] upgrade to 1.4 - Windows

From: Busser, Jim
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] upgrade to 1.4 - Windows
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2013 19:10:06 +0000

I have renamed this thread to take account of Windows-related issues, as they
relate to upgrading Postgres.

The following links may be a start to some answers:

1. Maybe Vaibhav wants to completely remove Postgres 8.4 (if that is what he is
using). Provided he has taken a proper backup of his GNUmed data, then he
should be able to remove the old Postgres if he desires. The following
instructions look to me like they should work:

http://www.pokertracker.com/guides/PT3/databases/how-to-uninstallreinstall-postgresql-84-windows

2. If he would rather keep his current Postgres on his system, then this next
method makes it look easy, but I do not know how perfectly it will work to
upgrade 8.4 to 9.2 (but maybe it will) nor how perfectly it will migrate a
GNUmed database from earlier postgres to 9.2 …. the instructions end with the
caveat to ensure to repoint the path:

        http://fuzzytolerance.info/blog/postgresql-upgrade-tip/

3.  Alternatively:

        http://www.lundalogik.com/2013/10/upgrading-postgresql-windows/

4. This one likewise may be suitable, except that Step 5 (restore data) would
best be replaced with a GNUmed-style backup and restore

http://socrateos.blogspot.ca/2011/04/upgrading-postgresql-from-83-to-904.html

-- Jim