[Gnumed-devel] Long tables (was Re: More than eight drugs)

From: Busser, Jim
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Long tables (was Re: More than eight drugs)
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2013 07:58:32 +0000

On 2013-07-21, at 10:55 PM, Vaibhav Banait <address@hidden> wrote:

> If the medications list contained more than 8 drugs, the current medications
> list print out in such  a way that the generated pdf contained demographic on
> one page and medications table on the other . Tex file so generated is
> attached herewith. Kindly help.
>
> Vaibhav Banait<MED.TEX>

Hi,

I did not yet fully figure out the method, however the medication list in the
attachment uses the package tabularx, which cannot itself split tables across
multiple pages. There exists a ctan topic

        type­set ta­bles that may be too big for a page

here ...

        http://www.ctan.org/topic/table-long

and a helpful general resource about tables in Latex, here:

        http://www.tug.org/pracjourn/2007-1/mori/mori.pdf
        (see in particular section 3.4 page 27)

==================================

Splitting tables across multiple pages can apparently be achieved by

1) supertabular, xtab, longtable mentioned in
        http://www.tug.org/pracjourn/2007-1/mori/mori.pdf
        --> page 28

2) ltxtable which combines longtable and tabularx (whose own package manuals
may need checking)
        http://www.ctan.org/pkg/ltxtable

3) ltablex
        http://ctan.org/pkg/ltablex

4) the tabu package which provides the longtabu environment
        http://www.ctan.org/pkg/tabu
        http://www.dille.name/notes/tex/longtabular.html

but if it is desired for cells to be able to be split, to avoid to use a table
layout (which thereby avoids cells) and instead using a list layout

Reference:
http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/60319/implementing-page-break-in-tabularx-environment

==================================

For a general change of font sizes try the appropriate switches around the
concerned environment.
        \small
        \begin{longtable}
          % table contents