[Gnumed-devel] Inputting substances for as-yet-undefined indications

From: Busser, Jim
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Inputting substances for as-yet-undefined indications
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2013 01:58:40 +0000

Hi,

Can we add, inside the Medication (Substance) "Add" dialog, the ability to add
a new problem?

Issues:

1. Sometimes, when seeing a new patient, or when updating the medications of a
patient who has gotten care elsewhere, it is in the process of inputting
medications (substances) that the not-yet-existing disease episode is learned
about.

2. I am further thinking that if a patient happens to consume a lot of
grapefruit juice, which is relevant to drug interactions, or if the patient
consumes 2-3 servings of alcohol daily, which might be important if they would
be prescribed sedatives or metronidazole, GNUmed does not allow these
substances to be inputted except by first having to create a (problem)
"episode" to which to then associate the medication (substance).

1. Inside the Medication (Substance) "Add" dialog, shorten the space allocated
to the Episode and provide a button 'Add problem'

2. Figure out whether it should be permissible to input a substance without
having to associate it with a reason. Should we remain required to create a
fake problem for every substance, even substances that we are not ourselves
prescribing? Sometimes we lack the reason why some other clinician has started
the patient on a medication. We should not be guessing. It is both valid, and a
practical clinical necessity, to be able to list a patient as taking a
substance even when we do not know why they are taking it. Too often, the
patient is not even sure.

If the patient asks me to re-prescribe (to "refill") something that has been
provided by someone outside the praxis, it would be better that I can see in
GNUmed that no-one in the praxis has yet figured out exactly why the patient is
taking this substance. I would be more likely to refuse to provide it in this
circumstance, than if someone else in the praxis estimated (absent having
proper information) what that external episode might be.

-- Jim