Re: [Gnumed-devel] Measurements - adding and abbreviations

From: Jim Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Measurements - adding and abbreviations
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2011 17:32:49 -0700

On 2011-08-11, at 2:30 PM, Karsten Hilbert wrote:

> OK, good, now we are talking (and GNUmed-next is
> gracefully sliding ...)
>
>> it would then open the measurement widget and input
>>
>>      BPM
>
> This would then mean the user would configure strings to
> detect for each measurement they plan to enter this way ?

It depends whether

        $

would be committed to

1) only work for invoking measurements (in which case the attached string can
auto-inject into the abbreviation field) -- in which case the strings would not
need to be pre-configured… *any* alpha string

        $foo

would trigger the measurements widget and the function would trim the string
'foo' and write-ahead into the abbreviation field

        $BP
        $pulse
        $ox

* or*

2) if more generically deployed so as to permit

        $string1 to invoke menu item preference 1
        $string2 to invoke a *different* menu item preference

then it would depend whether the string could be associated with a menu item
AND with input (however if the $ were to enable hot keying into some other menu
items, it is not always the case that write-ahead would be desired) thus it
seems to me the implementation should be one or the other. So that even while
it is tempting (in the short term) that

        $BP
        $pulse
        $ox

should each work, a decision to hard-code $ as usable only for measurements
would require a different solution if we should want to trigger a prescription
widget for example in a soaP note

        $rx

might desirably trigger the medications module

??

-- Jim