Re: [Gnumed-devel] GNUmed running on postgresql 8.1

From: Tim Churches
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] GNUmed running on postgresql 8.1
Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2006 07:58:29 +1000

Sebastian Hilbert wrote:
> While I am not quite sure if it is fully compatible it seems that GNUmed can
> be used with postgresql 8.1. Why bother ? Because SUSE ships with 8.1 instead
> of 8.0. Yeah I know one should use the reference platform Debian but why
> switch the ditro that has served me well for years.

We have been using NetEpi with PG 8.1.4 on Red Hat Enterprise Linux v4
Update 4 and pyPgSQL v2.5.1 with not the slightest problem. We just used
the RHEL RPMs from the official PostgreSQL web site. RHEL v4.4 ships
with PG 7.4, whcih is disappointing. We considered switching to Novell
SuSE Linux (we have to use a distro on an official "govt contract"
list), but the SElinux mandatory access control stuff built into RHEL
does offer some significant security benefits (once properly set up -
not easy, we are still fiddling with it) for anything running via an
Internet-facing Web interface (as NetEpi does). Probably not an issue
for GNUmed running on clinic/practice internal LANs.

Tim C