Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: Document for introducing GnuMed (regarding India'

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: Document for introducing GnuMed (regarding India's project opportunity)
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 06:55:11 +0100

On Mon, Mar 21, 2005 at 08:02:46AM +1100, Ian Haywood wrote:

> Let's say you wanted to show a list of new path. results across
> all patients, with the name and DOB of the patient.
Ah, I understand your angle.

> At present, you would ask the 'clinical' server for a list of new results,
> then for *each result* ask demographics for the name and address (by
> instantiating cIdentity with the patient ID)
> So 30 results = 30 little queries to demographics. (This is the speed
> penalty, which, in my experience was so bad it rendered the client unusable,
> even on
> a local database)
Luckily you enabled us to fetch all those 30 identities in one
query.

> An alternative is a view v_new_results. On most setups its an
> ordinary view, and fast, as it provides all the info in one query,
> with distrivuted databases it exits on (say) the clinical server
> using dblink () to get the demographics stuff.
> The client can't tell the difference (but the user will certainly notice,
> unless they have a very fast server)
I see. That would work, yes. Most systems that I know,
however, separate clinical from demographic data (even the bad
ones).

Karsten
--
GPG key ID E4071346 @ wwwkeys.pgp.net
E167 67FD A291 2BEA 73BD  4537 78B9 A9F9 E407 1346