Re: [Fwd: Re: [Gnumed-devel] how to configure gnumed to use not just "lo

From: catmat
Subject: Re: [Fwd: Re: [Gnumed-devel] how to configure gnumed to use not just "localhost"]
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 21:41:19 +1100

hello catman,

this sounds very promising. i am a german med student but on annual leave in sydney to work on a openEHR project (and live with my girlfriend ;)).

i have been at the german gnumed conference last december and this is actually where Karsten brought up the idea to go to AU and work with the openEHR guys. as he thinks about supporting this interoperable approach in the future.

i didn't get involved in gnumed at that time but i consider it the most promising open source initiative for small practices and i want to contribute at some point in time. maybe with my openEHR knowledge.

the project deals about building a GUI generator that is based on archteypes (openEHR's formal expressions for medical concepts). i am considering XUL (mozilla's markup GUI markup language) as the format of the generated interfaces.

These XUL interfaces depend on mozilla's gecko rendering engine and can be run directly from the web and as a browser extension. They could be brought to life with web services. this is important to me because it would be desirable to have a proof of concept.

maybe there is a chance - like you suggested - to use the existing gnumed's backend.

i talked to richard terry yesterday and i will drive up to newcastle next week to chat about GUIs and stuff. i will also contact karsten in that matter.

where abouts do you live. sounds very interesting what you did. maybe i can call you or we could even meet sometime.

cheers, thilo

Where abouts in Sydney , and who are you doing the project with ? Is the project open for collaboration with overtly open source projects
such as gnumed ?
I live in Melbourne. How do you find openEHR and XUL? What are the issues you've found with trying to build a gui generator
for openEHR?
Sorry if I sound a bit guarded, I sort of trust gnumedders more easily, when they make significant contributions such as code, critiques, requirement specification, requirements exploration, artwork. But it would be good if someone who knew openEHR well , joined the gnumed project !