Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: Gnumed-devel Digest, Vol 3, Issue 29

From: Horst Herb
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: Gnumed-devel Digest, Vol 3, Issue 29
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 08:24:30 +0100

On Mon, 24 Feb 2003 05:25 pm, Karsten Hilbert wrote:
> > Another scenario is that there is a network failure or server failure,
> > during the day,
>
> In most cases you should hire more competent NOC personnel as
> apparently there hasn't been any redundancy. This is exactly

I think Syan has an excellent point, and I remember we discussed this already
a year ago.

I would propose the client stores it's state in an XML file of the format
<path>
author/location/timestamp/server
        <module>
                <widget>
                </widget>
        </module>
</path>
This file is erased when the client exists cleanly.
When a client starts up, it checks whether a file with
<user>.gnumed.xml exists
If so, it checks if it has connected to the same server (from path statement)
If so, it asks the user whether it wants to retore state

During usage, every widget has a "save_state" method, which should be
triggered by a "on_timer" method as well as a "on_backend_failure" and a
"on_crash"

Horst