Re: [Gnumed-devel] LDAP

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] LDAP
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 09:05:51 +0200

> Since we are talking LDAP here, why don't we use an LDAP service
> for the distributed database directory, (that's all db & ddb are
> really).  Currently your client needs to know where the configuration
> database is to use the servic.  If that part was moved into LDAP,
> the client only has to do an LDAP lookup, there is no need to
> remember any database IP addresses and Port numbers on the client.

Single practice, 1-3 doctors, 2-5 machines. Do you really want
the make them run yet another demon ?

I have never really understood the key benefits of LDAP over
other forms of storage. Can someone point me towards one or
two good papers online ? I mean, outside the scope of
"directory" as in phone book since that seems to be what it's
tailored too.

All the client needs to do currently is to do a config file
lookup to know the IP/port of the config database. Where's the
big difference ? This is a site-local issue and should be
solved local to the site, IMHO (for local LDAP see above).

Karsten
--
GPG key ID E4071346 @ wwwkeys.pgp.net
E167 67FD A291 2BEA 73BD  4537 78B9 A9F9 E407 1346