Re: [Gnumed-devel] CVS and PNGs

From: Horst Herb
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] CVS and PNGs
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 08:46:56 +1000

On Sunday 11 August 2002 4:51 pm, you wrote:

> I imagine this is another case of subtle inconsistencies between wxMSW and
> wxGTK, exacberated by the fact that we are really pushing the envelope with
> this library.

Not really. It is the logical consequence of hardcoding sizes, positions and
fonts - something that is simply not the thing done in portable software
development.

> The frustrating thing, its that on GTK the perfect solution would be to
> have a "Terry theme", so any program can enjoy the wonders of purple
> labels, while keeping our code simple, but as Horst pointed out, this is
> not portable.

Well, you still can have it on Linux. Wouldn't worry too much about the
Windows users - those living on canned fast food need not get gourmet food in
their cans, do they? Anyway, wouldn't be that bad, as it still would be
utmost configurable, just not via simple theming

> humble suggestions:
>       - "all the way with GTK": a windows version is available, the advantage
> is
> we finally get access to glade and other goodies. (We lose Mac, of course)
>       - our own GUI customisation, storing fonts, colours on the remote
> database. This is currently our direction, but it does seem
> pointless duplication, especially on Linux.

Unfortunately it is not that simple. The Windows GTK port is buggy and
unstable. Only a small handful of developers maintain it, and Tor seems to be
the only long term commited one (Which GTK enthusiast would waste his time
with Windows?).
Glade for Windows, while certainly far more complete than wxGlade is unstable
too - still experimental, for that matter. If we would focus on
Linux/Unix/OSX development, Glade/GTK is certainly very tempting - but
Windows would suffer far than with the current solution where Windows would
just miss out on skinning.

That said, glade is certainly one of the greatest UI designer tools ever. GTK
2.0 is quite complete, would even come with a very nice rich text widget.
Language independence would be given in a far more comprehensive way than
with wx.

Horst