[Gnumed-devel] Reason for backend complexity

From: Horst Herb
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Reason for backend complexity
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2002 11:07:24 +1000

The main reason why we had to split the monolithic backend up:
- some countries provide centralized demographic information. It would be inefficient and unreliable to try to copy such a centrally well maintained demographic database. We should rather allow to tap into it via distributed services.
- some countries provide centralized pharmaceutical information
- some countries provide centralized immunisation databases
- some conutries centralize certain pathology results
etc.

Sometimes, this happens on a smaller scale like within a hospital where hey already have successfully implemented some of these services, they are running smoothly, and they find no reason to pull it apart again. GNUMed will shine in such an environment because it will be far easier to integrate into such existing solutions than other software.

Thus we try to find out which "services" are relatively independent from others, and isolate them into particular "virtual" databases. That way, it will be magnitudes easier to write simple wrappers for external sources and use them.

The main obstacle is tha Postgres in itself does not support cross-database queries, and we have to take care of referential integrity between external sources ourselves.

Horst