gnulib-tool-py

[gnulib-tool-py] List of available modules

From: Dmitriy Selyutin
Subject: [gnulib-tool-py] List of available modules
Date: Tue, 8 May 2012 23:05:13 +0400

Hi everyone,

I'm now working on how to get the list of the available modules. As you know gnulib-tool.sh uses combination of find and echo commands. It seems that it is the fastest way to do the job, may be it would be better to do it using subprocess? I could do it in this way:
0. Create empty list to store strings.
1. Make recursive cycle using os.walk.
2. For every string:
  2a. Don't append string if it is a directory;
  2b. Don't append string if it is a special filename.
3. Sort list using list.sort() method, which depends on current locale.

I could do it in the way described above, but it takes too much time to complete. So I think the best way is to do this:
1. Run subprocess `find modules -type f -print` and get output.
2. Send stdout to sed command with some arguments (func_sanitize_modulelist), then get output.
3. Split output by lines, then sort it using list.sort() method, which depends on current locale.

BTW, why we set `LC_ALL=C` before we run `sort -u`? Is it necessary to use exactly C locale?

Thanks!