gnuherds-app-dev

Re: register Cooperative

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: register Cooperative
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 01:24:30 +0000

Nicodemo Alvaro <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 2:37 PM, Davi Leal <address@hidden> wrote:
> > It could be useful to who want to look for
> > Persons or Cooperatives,  excluding Companies.
>
> Give an example of what a cooperative could be. By cooperative do you
> mean like a partnership or an alliance.
>
> Is the Cooperative Fund an example?
> http://www.cooperativefund.org/

Examples of non-IT cooperatives are Associated Press in the USA,
Mondragon in Spain, Arla Foods in Scandinavia and Desjardins in
Canada. Some partnerships and alliances are cooperatives, but not all.
The main definition is at http://www.ica.coop/coop/principles.html

The Cooperative Fund is a Community Development Finance Institution
(CDFI).  It funds cooperatives, but:
"Is CFNE a cooperative?
No, but we use consensus decision making, our workplace is democratic,
and the board is from the cooperative  community we serve."
http://www.cooperativefund.org/about_us/faq

Examples of large cooperatives can be found at http://global300.coop/
and they're usually the most famous.

Hope that helps,