gnuherds-app-dev

Re: software distribution FS criteria

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: software distribution FS criteria
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 01:00:48 +0000

Davi Leal <address@hidden> wrote:
> Gobuntu has been added to the example classification list at
> http://gnuherds.org/faq#FS_criteria
>
>   Gobuntu is Free Software because its policy [1] is to
>   adhere to the Free Software Foundations four freedoms.
>
>   [1] http://www.ubuntu.com/products/whatisubuntu/gobuntu

Amazing!  Can policy alone make Gobuntu "Free"?  It doesn't (yet?)
follow that policy, but that's not a problem for you to call it
"Free"?  Gobuntu includes non-free software in Firefox, which also
auto-installs non-free software for you.  See
http://diveintomark.org/archives/2007/10/18/gobuntu-has-already-failed
for some discussion and I think there's been more on
gNewSense-discuss.

Meanwhile, even though debian has less serious bugs, it is only
"Almost-Free" (accurate, but it is more "Free" than Gobuntu at
present) and gnuherds.org continues to misreport the Debian project,
saying the Debian project "promotes" non-free software.

Please be consistent.  Either Debian is "Free" or Gobuntu is
"Almost-Free" at present, and the "promotes" lie should be nuked from
orbit.

Thanks,