gnuherds-app-dev

Re: Debian vs gNewSense -- FS criteria

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Debian vs gNewSense -- FS criteria
Date: Sat, 06 Oct 2007 09:14:22 -0400

    My current _personal_ proposed software distribution classification is:

      "gNewSense"             as Free ???

      "Debian"                as Almost-Free ???

         Debian is a general term which refer to
         Debian GNU/Linux and all others ports
           http://www.us.debian.org/ports/

      "Debian GNU/Hurd"       as Free

      "Debian GNU/Linux"      as Almost-Free ???

      "Debian GNU/NetBSD"     not classified yet
      "Debian GNU/kFreeBSD"   not classified yet

      "OpenBSD"               as Almost-Free
      "FreeBSD"               as Almost-Free
      "NetBSD"                as Almost-Free

      "Microsoft Windows Vista" as Non-Free

To the extent of my knowledge, these seem correct.

    Should we just tag all more-or-less free software distribution
    as 'Freedomware' and let it be exposed to the public in resumes and offers?

That would not serve the purpose; we need to distinguish, for some
purposes, between free distributions and non-free distributions.