gnuherds-app-dev

Re: CVS branch for XHTML ?

From: Victor Engmark
Subject: Re: CVS branch for XHTML ?
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2007 19:47:53 +0100

On 2/25/07, Davi Leal <address@hidden> wrote:
Victor Engmark wrote:
> Davi Leal wrote:
>  You're saying that the benefits listed in my email earlier don't make
> sense? In what way?.

They are not technical but supposed strategic benefits,
http://www.nypl.org/styleguide/xhtml/benefits.html

For me, they are very real benefits. I've been using XHTML 1.1 for years.

> Again good HTML is as logical and structural as XHTML.

So, good for HTML.

Hold on. You're quoting yourself now, not me.

> HTML gives you lots of possibilities to mess up the tree structure of the
> document,
We should use the validator any way.

> making it slow to parse,
What is a millisecond more?

If you're willing to build a site with the goal of having hundreds or thousands of users with that attitude, this discussion is moot. Besides, I'm not talking about milliseconds. The fastest I could get the GNU Herds front page to load, in beta, on a Sunday evening, is 0.765 seconds (measured with Fasterfox, after reloading some 20 times). That page doesn't even use any (non-trivial) _javascript_. The Update person data page was even slower - I couldn't get it below 2 seconds. Unless the code scales brilliantly (leaving the browser as the only bottleneck), you'll lose a lot of potential users.

--
Victor Engmark
Quid quid latine dictum sit, altum viditar - What is said in Latin, sounds profound