[gnugo-devel] Possibility to play local games/against yourself?

From: Ethan Masse
Subject: [gnugo-devel] Possibility to play local games/against yourself?
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2021 15:45:02 +0000 (UTC)

Hello!

First I'd like to say thank you for creating such a nice, terminal-based go program with a built-in AI opponent. I really enjoy your program!

I like to play go against myself, and instead of breaking out my entire board to do so, I started experimenting with computer software recently. I looked through your man page for gnugo and I couldn't find a setting to disable the computer and play a local game against someone sitting next to you, or yourself. I understand this might confuse some of the vision of the project, and potentially do weird things with settings like --color, but I think that this would be a great feature for gnugo to have, especially if you could play a game to completion against yourself and then use the AI to score your board.

Currently I'm using kigo to play local games without a computer, which I believe is just a front-end to gnugo, but kigo is a KDE program, and running it requires I pull the entire KDE stack and keep it updated on my computer, when a terminal program would be much more desirable. (Not to mention kigo's GUI is a little buggy.)

If this option already exists in gnugo, and I'm just too stupid to see it, then I'm sorry for wasting your precious time.

Thanks for your hard work,
Ethan Masse