Re: [gnugo-devel] How does gnuGo think?

From: Daniel Bump
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] How does gnuGo think?
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2010 15:54:58 -0700

> Can you give me a rough overview of how GnuGo determines a move to make?

This is explained in the documentation. The following
sections are most relevant:

http://www.gnu.org/software/gnugo/gnugo_4.html#SEC39
http://www.gnu.org/software/gnugo/gnugo_6.html#SEC64

> In particular, does it attempt to pick an optimal move, or an optimal
> strategy?  That is, does it examine the board on each move and work
> out the best move it can; or does it examine the board for interesting
> strategic artifacts and build a playing strategy based on that?

The move generation is done from scratch with each move.
It does not carry a strategy forward from move to move.
It does carry forward some information such as the status
of a group if it judges the status does not need to be
recomputed.

The move generation process does takes into account strategic
considerations, such as moyo, and these are among the lists
of move reasons.

Daniel Bump