Re: [gnugo-devel] experimental code

From: Gunnar Farneback
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] experimental code
Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2002 20:17:46 +0200

Dan wrote:
> At one point since 3.2 we seriously discussed turning on the semeai
> code by default but some testing seemed to show it was not ready
> for prime time. Gunnar ran the experimental connection code for a
> while on NNGS and our rating dropped precipitously during June,
> then recovered when he turned it off again.

The rating drop was mainly due to general slowdown and time losses.
But even disregarding effects on speed, it's still true that the
experimental connection code is not ready for prime time. It improves
some aspects of the engine but also introduces a couple of serious new
problems that need to be fixed.

> It seems that we need to review the semeai code and try to fix
> bugs but making it the default would be premature right now. I'm
> not sure the level 11 scheme accomplishes anything really.

I would say it doesn't. Mixing up levels with experimental options
looks like a rather bad idea to me.

/Gunnar