Re: Using GNUe

From: Reinhard Mueller
Subject: Re: Using GNUe
Date: Sun, 07 Nov 2010 13:11:41 +0100

Dear James,

Am Samstag, den 06.11.2010, 13:58 +0100 schrieb James Mohr:
> Is there any documentation any where that describes the basics of using GNUe?
> There is a lot of documentation on developing the various modules, the API
> and
> so forth, but with the expection of a couple of man-pages, readme and other
> documents scattered throughout various packages, I find nothing that tells me
> how to actually use the product.

I think one of the reasons why there is no single document "how to use
GNUe" is that GNUe can be used in a variety of ways:

As a developer, you can use GNUe-Forms to develop a graphical frontend
for your SQL database, you can use GNUe in 3-tier mode (with Appserver)
to build more or less complex complete applications, you can develop an
application on GNUe Appserver which works completely as a backoffice app
with no graphical interface at all, you can use GNUe Reports to generate
HTML pages out of your SQL database, to print address labels, or to send
mass faxes, and so on. You can use GNUe on your existing SQL database as
well as build a new database in the course of developing an application
with GNUe.

As an end user, you usually use GNUe as a "hidden" foundation of a
database application, with installation and configuration completely
dependent on your application.

If you want to use GNUe to develop database applications, I think the
GNUe Forms Developer's Guide you can find at
http://www.gnuenterprise.org/tools/forms/docs/ should be a good start.

Another one of the reasons for missing better documentation is that we
suck at documentation :-(. The developer resources spent on GNUe is
currently quite low, and keeping documentation current is a time
consuming task.

We are fully aware of this problem, and I really want to work more on
documentation as soon as I can find the necessary time.

Thanks,
Reinhard