Re: [GNUe] [Bug] gnue-forms / gnue-appserver: OnChange / abort / editabl

From: Reinhard Mueller
Subject: Re: [GNUe] [Bug] gnue-forms / gnue-appserver: OnChange / abort / editable="new"
Date: Mon, 05 May 2008 16:30:05 +0200

Hi, David,

Am Samstag, den 03.05.2008, 11:48 +0200 schrieb David Ayers:
> When saving an newly to be inserted object fails due to an abort
> during the OnChange processing in the gnue-appserver, the form's field
> property editable="new" is misinterpreted in the sense that the
> fields become deactivated even though, as the status line also
> indicates with "INS", the object is still new.

there are a few things to note.

First of all, the "INS" in the status line refers to Insert mode as
opposed to Overwrite (typical behaviour of the "Ins" key on the
keyboard). The record status is indicated by the *other* 3-letter code
in the status line, like "OK" or "MOD" (for "Modified").

Second, I could not reproduce the behaviour with OnChange but only with
OnValidate. Could you please double-check?

Third, the behaviour is *somewhat* correct for OnValidate: Since
OnValidate only runs on commit, the data is already written to Appserver
and the object *does* exist, but the transaction is not yet committed.
The object is very much in a status like a record in a SQL database is
between the INSERT and the COMMIT statements.

We might have to think a lot more about exception handling and handling
of started but unfinished transactions, but at least I wouldn't consider
this a clear but which can be fixed without some deeper thought about
the basic concepts.

Thanks,
Reinhard