Re: [GNUe] Re:Proposal for ITEM package

From: kilo
Subject: Re: [GNUe] Re:Proposal for ITEM package
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 00:00:39 +0100

Hi Paul,

first I would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts with us.

> First, an enterprise uses and sell products but they also deal in
> providing
> services.  Would you desire the set up services in the same basic gcd?

Yes, imho an item is something that can be manufactured and/or selled.
You should be able to define a service item, that has no physical
attributes, only a unit type like 'hour', and Billing could produce an
invoice out of that.

> Second ,
> Is scope of this gcd.  Are you looking to create a base for the entire
> enterprise.  I would think if this is true then some type of gcd would
> be used
> for what would represent a individual warehouse or storage entity.
> This would
> allow for different modeling that is needed to create and enforce
> business rules as needed.

Yes, this gcd should serve as a base for more sophisticated ones.
It should declare a basic interface (API) that one can rely on. It also
should provice basic implementation of this API. Think of the price: in
the basic version it would be only a number, and the API would contain a
procedure getPrice() that would simply return that number. But in a
specialized module built on top of this base module, getPrice() would do
much more complex things and get the price from a more sophisticated
data entry.

> >* price info more complex (base qty, min qty, max qty, min
> >amount, max amount)
>  - Min , max sounds like planning information.  Might be a base
>    to default off of when adding different warehouses.
>
> >* lot ifentification (lot number, expiry date)
>  - Lot and expire date belongs with an inventory value wwhich
>    would not be in the item masters.
>
> >* commodity classification (nature, cargo type, code)
> >* hazardous item info
> >* tax category / categories?
> >* origin country
>  - This is a real pain to deal with but this should also be associated
>    with inventories
>
> >* sales conditions
>  - I'm thinking a pricing module?
> >* different identification codes by
> >    standard
> >    manufacturer
> >    catalogue
> >    buyer
> >    seller
> >    additional
> >
> >    each identification code would include
> >    * id
> >    * issuer
> >    * physical attributes
> >    * measurement dimension
> >

> >Please comment
> >
> >kilo
> >Gabor Kmetyko
>
> In other thoughts it would be a good idea to look at
> http://www.uc-council.org and http://www.supply-chain.org
> for naming fields and other ideas as what and where to include it.
> of fields and what they are used for.
>
> Some UML diagraming posted on
> http://www.gnuenterprise.org/cgi-bin/twiki/view
>  might a be a good way to express what is tring to be

I'm collecting people's views about these issues still, until about this
weekend, before trying to integrate them into one.

Thanks

kilo
Gabor Kmetyko